Monday, October 1, 2012

The Message of Jesus Christ...

I just started a reading plan through youversion.com.  I am going to be reading the entire New Testament over the next year.  This pretty much consists of a chapter a day.  At first I thought, "One chapter a day?  That is not very much." 

However, I am excited for the opportunity to really allow the pages of scripture to soak in.  I am excited to not have so much going on in my mind that I can really try and think through what is being taught and think through how it should be applied.  We all need to do this more.

My goal in this study is gain a nugget from scripture that I can "chew on" throughout the day, apply its truth to my life, and hopefully (as time allows) share it with others.  Below is what I want to share today.

Mark 1:14-15.

John the Baptist has been arrested and Jesus has come to Galilee.  Once He arrived in Galilee, He began His preaching ministry.  Verse 15 of Mark 1 summarizes for us what Jesus main message was going to be throughout His earthly ministry.  Somehow I think this should be our message too.  He summarizes His message in 3 statements.

#1--"The time is fulfilled..."
  • The time has come for the old system (the law) to be done away with and a new system (Christ) to be ushered in.  
  • This symbolizes the beginning of God reconciling all men to Himself.
  • The "once and for all" sacrifice has arrived.
#2--"...the kingdom of God is at hand..."
  • Although it is going to come in stages, it has arrived.  
#3--"...repent and believe in the gospel."
  • I feel like that we get sidetracked sometimes from this message.  
  • This should be grafted into every sermon you and I preach.
I needed to be reminded of this today.  I needed to be reminded that in my personal life I need to repent and believe the gospel.  I needed to be reminded that this message of Christ should be the dominate theme in every message I preach, every deed that I do, and in every word that I speak. 

I am thankful for the message of Jesus Christ.  May His message become our message.  Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment