Friday, June 15, 2012

"I Am Speaking From Experience..."

I am simply blown away.  I don't say what I am about to say with a prideful spirit.  Please know that!  I have chosen to become more faithful in my personal study of scripture.  I know what your thinking.  You are thinking, "Derek calls himself a christian, but he doesn't personally study scripture?"  You are right.  I am not always as faithful as I should be with regards to studying scripture.  Granted, I study for 3 lessons a week at church, but none of that is specifically geared for my personal walk with Christ.  I have got news for you, my friend.  YOU DON'T STUDY SCRIPTURE FOR "YOU" LIKE YOU SHOULD EITHER!!!  (If you do, well, ignore the "all caps" statement.)

Lately God has been challenging me, kicking me, slapping me, convicting me, breaking me, forming me, and speaking to me from the book of Philippians.  I think over the last several weeks I have read the book 5 times or more.  I can't get enough of it (remember what I said about being prideful above).  I am actually thinking of writing a short book on it (sounds crazy doesn't it?). 

When Jennifer and I got married in May of 2005, we recited a section of verses from the book of Philippians at our wedding.  I didn't really even think about what I was reciting.  I was just wanting the ceremony to be over.  I know that sounds harsh, but you know what I mean.  Well, at least the men reading this do. 

Anyway, God is using that section of verses in my life as of late.  As I write this post, it is Friday afternoon and I have little to do.  If you are from my church reading this post, ignore that last statement.  I decided to get my ESV Study Bible out and begin the process of really tearing the book of Philippians apart.  The following information in this post is where I have stopped and camped out today. 

Here is what Philippians 1:9-11 says, "And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God."

Let's break this down some.
  1. It is my prayer.
    1. What is my prayer?
      1. That love may abound more and more.
        1. How?
          1. With knowledge
          2. With all discernment
        2. Why?
          1. So that I can approve what is excellent.
          2. So that I can be pure and blameless for the day of Christ.
          3. So that I can be filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Christ
          4. So that GOD WOULD BE GLORIFIED AND PRAISED!!!
THIS IS MY PRAYER.  
I desire that my love for God and for others would continually, day after day, increase.  That I would couple love with knowledge (wisdom) and discernment (good judgment).  Why do I want to do this?  Great question.  I want to do this so that I can approve and practice those things that are excellent in the eyes of God.  I want to do this so that when Christ returns He will find a joyful obedience in me.  I want to do this so that I can be filled with all those things that come from being a righteous person, knowing that those things only come through Christ.  The main reason that I want to do this is so that my God would be glorified and praised.

I want to challenge you to read and study scripture.  If you are anything like me, and I think you are, you are not as faithful to scripture as you once were or as you "once said or tricked yourself into thinking" you were.  Blessing to you and I can't wait to see what God is going to do in your life once you decide to devote yourself to His Word.  He will do something in you.  Trust me.  I am speaking from experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment