Wednesday, September 28, 2011

See You at the Pole 2011 Edition

Today was one of the first times in my life that I got to play an active, yet behind the scenes role in planning a "See You at the Pole" event.  I never went when I was in high school for several reasons that I won't go into.  I learned several things today, however, that I would like to share.

Students want to be involved in something bigger than themselves.
  • My wife, Jennifer, and I are privileged to be the sponsors for the Byng High School FCA.  This is where she teaches.  At our last meeting we hammered out all the details for what See You at the Pole would look like.  I guess I was expecting to have to do all the work.  After all, I am the trained one.  I was surprised.  I really just served as a moderator and the students made it their own.  This is the way that it is supposed to be.  Students want to be involved.  They want to make a difference.  They want to latch onto something bigger than themselves.  They want a deep and meaningful relationship with Christ and others.
There are tons of people that need to know about the love of Christ.
  • I know what you are thinking.  Captain Obvious!!!  I was reminded of this.  Are speaker challenged us to think of one person that we know that needs to know about the love of Christ and the difference that He has made in our lives.  I did what was asked and thought of my "one."  You know what?  Everyone else did too.  On the count of 3 we all said the name of our "one" out loud.  Byng, Oklahoma echoed with the names of people that need Jesus.  Let us be challenged to do our job to help fulfill the Great Commission.  
I love student ministry.
  • I was reminded once again today that I love students.  I love their raw, rough-edged, personalities.  I  love their dedication to something they believe.  Adults should learn this lesson.  I love their encouragement to one another.  I love their loyalty to their school and their passions to make their schools better.
Here is a sampling of pictures taken by yours truly this morning at the Byng High School and Junior High School See You at the Pole.

 Justin Presley challenging the crowd to follow Jesus and to share Him with others.
 Two students leading the crowd in worship.
 One side of the crowd.
 "Our God" by Chris Tomlin
Students engaged in worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment